One of the central themes of the Chicago Colorectal Surgery Symposium is to highlight the wealth of experience and passion that exists in Chicago. Nobody embodies these attributes more than Dr. Hernand Abcarian.
For more than 40 years, he has educated and inspired countless students, residents, fellows, and colleagues. Dr. Abcarian is a not only a master surgeon, but the consummate professional. He has served our professional organizations in nearly every capacity, while always providing the highest standard of care for his patients. The organizing committee of The Symposium has decided to include the Abcarian Lectureship as a key component of the program to recognize Dr. Abcarian for his leadership and impact on Colorectal Surgery in Chicago.
Prior Speakers and Topics
- 2019 Julio Garcia Aguilar, MD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Complete Mesocolic Excision.
- 2018 Ann Lowry, MD, Colon & Rectal Surgery Associates - Rectovaginal Fistula.
- 2017 Patricia Roberts, MD, Lahey Clinic, President ASCRS - Has diverticulitis become a medical disease?
- 2016 Thomas Read, MD, Lahey Clinic - What if Sherlock Holmes was a colorectal surgeon? Evidence is the key to treatment of rectal cancer.
- 2015 Anders Mellgren, MD, PhD, U Illinois Chicago - Improving outcomes in rectal cancer management - The more you know.